|I forgot my endian fw root password!!! HELP.. What now?
You have 2 options to reset your root password in the case you lost or forgot it.
- You will need a serial nullmodem cable and a pc / mac with a serial interface and a terminal program
- You will need a screen and keyboard attached to the firewall machine.
The Endian Fw Appliance’s have a serial interface (Console interface) but no Video and Keyboard connectors. If you have your own hardware you probably will have only Video and Keyboard but no Serial Interface.
(used for Appliance)
Connect the serial nullmodem cable to the console port of your Endian Firewall and the other end to your workstations serial port (COM1).
Use a terminal program to connect to the Firewall.
- 38400 baud
- 8 bit
- No parity bit
- 1 stop bit
After connecting you will find a menu with 5 choices. One of them is “Change Root password”.
Select that item to change your password.
- Connect the screen and keyboard and reboot your Endian Firewall.
- During boot-up you will see a the GNU GRUB Menu. Press a cursor button in order to stop the boot process. Otherwise it will boot automatically.
- Select the first item and press ‘a‘.
- You will see:grub append> root=/dev/hda3 panic=10 roAdd ‘single’ separated with a space, as described below:
grub append> root=/dev/hda3 panic=10 ro single
- Press ENTER which starts the boot process
- After boot up, the prompt on the bottom of the screen should look like this:sh-3.00# _
- You are now logged in as single user, type
mount -o rw,remount /
- type in passwd and confirm the passwd pressing ENTER
- follow the instructions
10. If you also want to change the admin password, do the following:
htpasswd -m /var/efw/auth/users admin
and follow the instructions.
Once the system has rebooted you should now have access via the shell or your browser via the admin interface.
Thanks Sir, I reset my console password as above instructions.